The Congregation of the Sisters of Marie Reparatrice

The Congregation of the Sisters of Marie Reparatrice was founded by Émilie d'Oultremont (spouse d'Hooghvorst), born in Wégimont (province of Liège, Belgium) and deceased in Florence (Italy) in 1878. Christ revealed his immense love to her and called her to consecrate herself to reparation, ‘in union with Mary, who as Handmaid of the Lord surrendered herself completely to the person and redemptive work of her son.’ St. Ignatius of Loyola and his spirituality have been for her a source of inspiration.

The Congregation was founded in 1857 with the setting up of a first house in Strastourg (France), thanks to the support of Mgr. Raess, Bishop of this town. Émilie d'Oultremont became in religion Mother Mary of Jesus; her two daughters also became religious under the names of Mother Mary of St-Victor (Olympe) and Mother Mary of St. Julienne (Marguerite).

From the very beginning, the contemplative orientations as well as the missionary and apostolic dimensions were present. The sisters of Marie Reparatrice founded many communities throughout the world. According to the charism of their foundress, they are active in various areas, from human promotion to all that has to do with the deepening of faith. They are presently in 23 countries, in Europe, North and South America, Africa and three islands of the Indian Ocean. Mother Mary of Jesus was beatified in 1997 by John-Paul II.

For more information, see the website of the Sisters of Marie Reparatrice:

This website gathers together 12 pieces of work referring to the Congregation of the Sisters of Marie Reparatrice: writings of Mother Mary of Jesus, correspondence with the Jesuit Fathers, and the history of the Congregation. This electronic edition has been set up from the printed version of the various books.